April 20, 2010

Precious Yarns

I'm intimidated by special yarns. Obviously I love nice yarn and I've been known to keep a particularly beautiful skein on my desk where I can gaze upon and and maybe pet it a little when no one is looking, but I'm a little afraid to actually knit with it. First I obsess over finding the perfect pattern, one that some all mighty knitty being on high has ordained as worthy of such a lovely yarn. Then, and sticking with the Biblical theme, I dither over whether I am worthy of such a nice yarn. I'm not really that good a knitter, I can't make anything really impressive, maybe I should just wait until I can do a better job, a job worthy of such beautiful yarn.

This mindset goes a long way to explain my burgeoning stash of Malabrigo sock yarn. So soft, and such beautiful colors, but who am I to cast on with such magnificent fibers. I realize, however, that not knitting with a yarn because it's too nice is akin to not wearing a handknit because you're afraid of messing it up, and every knitter knows there's nothing more annoying that pouring countless hours and energy into a project, only to have the recipient not actually use it. I knit those socks for you to wear, so shut up and wear the damn socks already. Yarn is spun to be knit, so shut up and cast on. Remember you can always buy more.

Retro Rib Socks
Retro Rib Socks by Evelyn Clark in Malabrigo Sock, colorway Tiziano Red

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you think! :D Actually, really nice yarns go well with simple patterns. For example, making a garter stitch baby blanket is super easy, but what better way to show off a smooshy soft yarn? I do feel the same way to an extent but I think I've managed to find a nice balance between yarns and patterns. :) --Gemini

    ReplyDelete